Each term, VolunQuest selects multiple applicants to receive our Program Scholarship, allowing them to participate in our 6-month TEFL Certification Program Internship in Isla Mujeres, Mexico. Interns share the same teaching responsibilities as the volunteers, but require different qualifications.
As a member of our full-immersion program, you are given the opportunity to become a part of the local community. You will be living and working side-by-side with the locals, providing free ESL lessons specifically to the children/young-learners in the primary public schools (grades 1-6). This truly rewarding experience allows you to give something back to the community, while at the same time, gain invaluable teaching experience, language skills, and lasting memories. As an intern, you will be able to enjoy all the pleasures these stunning destinations have to offer, with secure living arrangements and full support from VolunQuest.
What are the benefits?
- A TEFL Certificate through the Mexican Ministry of Education
- Orientation and intensive training upon arrival
- Collaborative lesson planning and material creation
- Monday-Friday work week (with some exceptions for special events)
- Continuous training and supervision throughout the program
- Access to office materials which include young learner books, school supplies, a printer/copy machine, printer paper, teaching materials, ESL teaching guides and references, etc.
- Full-immersion in the local community
- Participation in VolunQuest sponsored outreach events
- A letter of recommendation upon successful completion of the program
- Living and working in Isla Mujeres!
What are the requirements?
- Between the ages of 20-30
- Completed undergraduate degree
- Intermediate-level Spanish
- Experience working with children
- 6 month commitment: January – July or July – December (includes 3 weeks of Summer Camp)
What’s included in the Program Scholarship?
- All program fees waived
- Transportation to and from the airport
- Shared intern housing within walking/biking distance of the schools
- 500 peso/week food stipend
- Orientation/tour of your location
- Information packet
- Teacher training and supervision
- Access to teacher materials and resources
- 24/7 emergency support
- Airfare to Cancun
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Local transportation