In collaboration, VolunQuest and the local government of Isla Mujeres offer qualified applicants scholarships to the TEFL Gap Year program for six months. VolunQuest waives all administration, training, supervision and certification costs, while the government provides free housing, transportation and outings for scholarship recipients. This program was developed to provide permanent teachers with University degrees to the public schools.
What are the benefits?
- A TEFL Certificate through the Mexican Ministry of Education
- Orientation and intensive training upon arrival
- Collaborative lesson planning and material creation
- Monday-Friday work week (with some exceptions for special events)
- Continuous training and supervision throughout the program
- Access to office materials which include young learner books, school supplies, a printer/copy machine, printer paper, teaching materials, ESL teaching guides and references, etc.
- Full-immersion in the local community
- Participation in VolunQuest sponsored outreach events
- A letter of recommendation upon successful
- Living and working in Isla Mujeres!
What are the requirements?
- Between the ages of 20-30
- Completed undergraduate degree
- Upper Intermediate-level Spanish
- Experience working with children
- 6 month commitment: January – July or July – December (includes 3 weeks of Summer Camp)
Any scholarship recipient that does not complete their six-month service commitment will be responsible for all VolunQuest fees for the amount of time that they participated on the program
What’s included in the Program Scholarship?
- All program fees waived
- Transportation to and from the airport
- Shared intern housing within walking/biking distance of the schools
- All Utilities in Shared Housing (Water, Internet and Electric)
- Two Overnight Outings in the Region
- Orientation/tour of your location
- Information packet
- Teacher training and supervision
- Access to teacher materials and resources
- 24/7 emergency support
- Airfare to and from Cancun International Airport
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Medical and travel insurance
- Local transportation
- Meals and General Living Expenses